Mold: The Do's and Don'ts
The Do’s and Don’ts of Dealing with Mold
Got mold? If you suspect that you have a mold problem in your home proper steps should be taken to remove it as soon as possible. Mold can pose a serious threat to your health. The key to stopping mold in its tracks is to control dampness. Mold thrives in damp crawl spaces, in attics and walls where water has accumulated, and in basements with poor drainage around the foundation. Keeping these areas of your home dry is the best defense against mold.
You can treat small areas (less than 10 square feet) of mold yourself, provided you take the proper precautions. However, larger areas or areas that are hidden are best treated by a professional remediation and mitigation company like Burke Emergency Restoration. Burke ER suggests you follow these basic guidelines for dealing with mold:
- DO NOT place fans on mold. When air is blown onto a mold infested area it will disperse harmful spores into the air which will adversely affect the air quality. Only use fans to dry an area AFTER cleaning and removing the mold.
- DO NOT try to kill the mold. Even dead mold spores are as harmful to the lungs as living mold spores.
- DO NOT spray bleach or any other chemical on the mold as this will only cause the mold to disperse spores. Use household detergent instead.
- DO NOT think that mold won’t hurt you. Mold is an airborne pathogen and as such it can seriously harm your health.
- DO wear eye protection and gloves when treating mold as well as a long-sleeve shirt and long pants.
- DO set up plastic containment sheets to avoid the spread of spores.
- DO use a hepa vacuum.
- DO use negative air pressure.
If your mold problem persists call the professionals at Burke Emergency Restoration. We will do a free mold evaluation. In some cases we will conduct air testing and send the samples to an independent environmental laboratory for a nominal fee.
Family owned and operated, Burke Emergency Restoration provides 24 hour service 7 days a week. We have built a reputation as one of the most competent, ethical and compassionate service provider’s in the restoration industry.Whether it’s fire & smoke, water damage, mold or bio hazard cleanup you can rely on the professionals at Burke Emergency Restoration.
Whether it’s water damage, fire & smoke, mold or biohazard cleanup you can rely on the professionals at Burke Emergency Restoration. We bring damaged properties back to life.™
Burke Emergency Restoration services Belknap, Merrimack, Strafford, Hillsborough and Rockingham Counties in New Hampshire. We also service northeastern Massachusetts and York county Maine.
Fast 24 Hour Response in New Hampshire, Merrimack, Cheshire, Hillsborough, Rockingham, and Strafford Counties. In MA: Essex County, Lowell, MA, Salem, NH, Nashua, NH, Manchester, NH, Concord, NH
Burke Emergency Restoration
Burke Emergency Restoration
850 E. Industrial Park Drive, Unit #6
Manchester, NH 03109